top of page

Museum History

It all started in 1963....

The Museum Collection

The Barossa Valley Archives & Historical Trust Inc. was founded in 1963 with the aim of preserving and recording the history of the area and its people.

The fledgling collection of artefacts was first housed in a rented premises in the main street of Tanunda.

Today the collection has grown to include:

- a bridal display featuring a rare traditional black German style wedding dress

- a history of the Lutheran Church in South Australia

- a rare Kruger pipe organ

- local pottery by Samuel Hoffmann c.1870's

- a miniature and full size German wagon

- Keil's horse drawn butcher cart

- farming tools and machinery

- household utensils and equipment

- a Wartburg Castle model, crafted by cabinetmaker Karl Launer in 1887

  ...and much more

The Museum Building Built 1866

The old Post Office, Telegraph Station and Postmaster's residence was built in 1866. 100 years later in the late 1960's, it faced demolition. Our Historical Trust was able to prevent this fine building from demolition, and then purchased it; setting it up as a Museum in 1972.

In 2001 an extensive addition was built to house the growing collection of artefacts.

bottom of page